Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mr. Kogan's Growth Mindset in Action: Revising the Blogging Rubric

Before the school year, Dr. Taylor pointed me in the direction of something called a "Single Point Rubric."

If you read up on them in any of the following posts (the original Dr. T point me to; a quick explanatory one that I stole the above image from; a definitional post about different kinds of rubrics) you'll see some of the advantages of a "Single Point Rubric," which I've begun experimenting with in my AP Euro classes and thought I bring here as well.

So, here's what our revised Blogging Rubric will now look like for your posts and comments:



I'm hopeful that this revision will have a number of benefits for us:

  1. I think, as the posts above explain, that this format will be far less cluttered.
  2. I believe it will allow me give you better, more detailed feedback.
  3. I think having grade totals from 0-100 will allow me a much more nuanced response and evaluation that the 0-8 (commenters) or 0-12 (lead posters) scale I initially devised.
  4. I think it will be easier to convey feedback to you paperlessly, which, given our blog-based course format, makes a lot of sense.
So, I'm going to create separate Google Docs for each of you with 12 different pages for feedback that I'll fill out over the course of the semester. Once you see a grade up online, that should indicate that I've finished reading your post and you can see my feedback for that week's work. I'll be sending those links to each of you shortly as shared, view-only Google Doc files.

Please let me know if you have any questions, but I hope my experimenting with this will be a benefit for all of us in the class. And with this pedagogical risk I'm also trying, as Tammy Faye Bakker sings, to embrace "running toward the roar"!

No comments:

Post a Comment